Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cosplay!Get : Utena Tenjou


As a cosplayer, one of the best feelings in the world is to get a costume out there that you feel proud of. If you're wearing it and you're having a great time, then you can consider it an outfit well made. Recently I've posted about my in-progress Utena Tenjou cosplay, from Revolutionary Girl Utena.


I'm really proud of this costume; it reflects how far I've come as a cosplayer. Way back when I was making my first messy hand-stitches in 2006, I never really thought I'd ever manage a tailored coat with full props. The coat here was created from a basic women's suit jacket pattern, with each side elongated to form the 'flaps'. The crinoline was rouched and sewn on the inside of the panels in a manner that would not show the stitches on the outside.

All props for my group were created by me; most gems were moulded out of dyed, poured epoxy resin, or sculpted out of clay. It's here where I've found that my talents really lie in prop creation as opposed to sewing. I'm not a good seamstress at all, really, but I love to make all the little (or large!) finicky, shiny things that make a costume pop out in a crowd.


My two fellow cosplayers were good friends of mine, and I was really lucky to be able to stick around them for the entire weekend of Anime North 2010. All in all, a really comfy, really good looking, and really fun costume to wear!

No comments:

Post a Comment